Maintaining Student Status in Canada

As a study permit holder, there are a number of conditions you need to meet. If you don’t meet these conditions, you may lose your student status and study permit. You may also have to leave Canada.

As a study permit holder, you must: 

  • be enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI), unless you’re exempt 
  • show you’re actively pursuing your studies, unless you’re exempt, by 
  • being enrolled full-time or part-time during each academic semester (excluding regularly scheduled breaks) 
  • making progress towards completing your program’s courses, and 
  • not taking authorized leaves longer than 150 days  from your study program 
  • tell IRCC any time you  change post-secondary schools 
  • end your studies if you no longer meet the requirements of being a student, and 
  • leave Canada when your permit expires 

You may have other conditions listed on your study permit. You must follow these conditions, which could include: 

  • the level of studies 
  • if you’re allowed to work on or off campus as a student in Canada 
  • if you need to report for medical procedures 
  • if you’re allowed to travel within Canada, and 
  • the date you must stop studying. 

Assessment of Study Permit Conditions

IRCC Officers should exercise their best judgment and take into account all relevant factors when assessing a student’s compliance with their study permit conditions. 

Enrollment at a DLI:

A foreign national who applied for a study permit on or after June 1, 2014, must be enrolled in a DLI. 

Actively Pursuing Studies:

As of June 1, 2014, all study permit holders must actively pursue their course or program of study, while they are in Canada. 

Related Articles:

Inviting Family and Friends to Canada

These instructions are for students who are recent graduates or graduating soon from a Northeastern Canadian campus, who are planning to invite their family members to attend their graduation ceremony.