Employment Outside the U.S.

Students who are physically located outside of the U.S. while working for a non-U.S. employer do not require work authorization from OGS. Authorization must be given for work that physically takes place within the U.S. or takes place abroad but for U.S. employers. This may include students on Global Co-op.

NOTE: If you are returning to the U.S. while working abroad or on international co-op to perform work for a short period while you are physically located in the U.S. (such as a business trip or conference), this would require authorization. Please reach out to OGS for advising if you believe this is your situation.

Recommended Travel Documents

As always, when traveling abroad, it is important to make sure you are checking your I-20 before leaving the U.S. to see if you will need a new travel signature. Please fill out a Travel Signature Request Form or check our website for travel signature session times and dates.

While it is not required for students to bring any extra documentation, some students going on global co-op may want to bring a letter with them when re-entering the U.S., that explains why they have been outside of the country. Below is a sample letter you may modify and sign yourself to bring with you. In addition, OGS recommends you bring an official transcript with you to show your enrollment in classes while you are abroad.

Sample Letter »

Key Resources

Travel Signature Request »

This is to request a travel endorsement on your I-20 or DS-2019.

Travel Signature Request – Seattle »

This is to request a travel endorsement on your I-20 or DS-2019 for Seattle campus students.