What is a program extension?
International students who need additional time to complete their degree requirements must apply for an extension of their I-20 or DS-2019. In order to maintain their status, they must apply for this extension before their current I-20 or DS-2019 program end date. Students receive an I-20 or DS-2019 based on Northeastern University’s program objectives, which account for any college approved experiential learning that is built into the length of the program of study.
- Submit the completed program extension request to the Office of Global Services (OGS) at least 30 days prior to the program end date on your most recent I-20 or DS-2019
- Continually maintained valid F-1 or J-1 status
- The delay in program completion is caused by compelling academic or medical reasons, such as:
- Change of major or research topics
- Unexpected research problems
- Thesis/Dissertation continuation
- Documented illnesses – A reduced course load or medical leave must have been granted by the University Health & Counseling Services (UHCS)
- Other documented academic circumstances*
- *Program extension requests are subject to review by OGS. Students will be notified of the status of their request after OGS completes review.
- Resolve any financial holds on your myNortheastern account before submitting the program extension request to OGS
The following reasons are not acceptable for a program extension:
- Enrolling in additional courses to improve GPA or for personal interest that is not required for program completion;
- Engaging in supplemental on or off campus research that is not required for program completion;
- Finishing outstanding coursework for an incomplete grade from a previous term;
- Retaking a failed class that is not required for program completion;
- Engaging in supplemental experiential learning experience/practical training experience that is not necessary or integral for program completion.
How to request a program extension
If you are unable to complete your program of study before the program end date on your I-20 or DS-2019, you must apply to OGS for a program extension at least 30 days before the program end date on your I-20 or DS-2019. Please complete and submit the Program Extension Request.