Traveling and Travel Signatures
J-1 Visiting Students and their dependents must have a valid travel signature on their DS-2019 prior to traveling outside the United States. This signature is valid for one year or program duration of the DS-2019, whichever is earlier. It is your responsibility to submit a travel signature request prior to your first time traveling internationally, and to ensure it is valid or obtain additional signatures as needed for future travel.
If you travel outside the U.S., you will need:
- Passport valid for at least six months into the future from the return date
- J-1 visa valid past the return date
- DS-2019 with a valid travel signature signed within the last year from the date of your return to the U.S.
- If you need a new travel signature, please submit the J-1 Travel Signature Request eForm in myOGS. Please allow five business days for travel signature processing.
- Once approved, you will be given instructions to come to OGS with your DS-2019 to receive the travel signature. We cannot provide these electronically per Department of State regulations.
- The same documents are required for traveling dependents. If your dependents need a travel signature, please bring their DS-2019(s) along with yours when you come to OGS for the signature.
If you travel to Canada, Mexico, or certain Caribbean islands for less than 30 days, you may be eligible to re-enter the U.S. with an expired J-1 visa. Please refer to the Department of State website for more details prior to traveling.
If you travel within the U.S., you should carry your passport, I-94, and DS-2019.