Summer Enrollment at Northeastern
During required academic terms, F-1 and J-1 students must maintain full-time enrollment and appropriate on-ground presence. While the summer term is considered a vacation term for most continuing students, some students are required to maintain full-time enrollment in the summer. Please read the following information carefully to make sure you understand your summer enrollment requirements.
What summer terms are available at Northeastern?
- Northeastern offers four distinct terms of enrollment in the summer:
- Full Summer (semester-based programs)
- Summer 1*(semester-based programs)
- Summer 2*(semester-based programs)
- Summer Quarter (CPS graduate students in quarter-based programs)
- *Degree-seeking students that are eligible to enroll in summer 1 only or summer 2 only may enroll in half of their typical full-time enrollment requirement (6 credits for undergraduate students and 4 credits for graduate students).
When do students have to maintain full-time enrollment and on-ground presence during the summer?
- You are required to maintain full-time enrollment and on-ground presence during the summer term(s) if:
- It is your first term of enrollment at NU and you have an Initial or Transfer I-20/DS-2019
- It is your first term of enrollment after an approved change of degree level (CDL) or change of status (COS)
- It is your final academic term
- It is required for all students in your degree program
- You are returning to NU after a leave of absence
- If you are required to maintain full-time enrollment during the summer term you must follow all requirements found on the Maintaining Status page of the OGS website.
Summer enrollment in your first term
If the summer term is your first term of enrollment at Northeastern, or your first term after an approved CDL or COS, you must maintain full-time enrollment and appropriate on-ground presence for the duration of the summer term(s). Please note:
- If you begin your program begin in summer 1 you are not eligible for a vacation period in summer 2
- If your program begins in summer 2 (student athletes, Doctorate of Physical Therapy students, etc.), please consult directly with your academic advisor for requirements on full time enrollment
You can maintain your F-1 or J-1 status according to the Guidelines on Maintaining Status provided by OGS.
Summer enrollment in your final term
If the summer is your final term of enrollment at Northeastern and you are not completing your program overseas, you must maintain full time enrollment with appropriate on-ground presence throughout the duration of your final term (full summer, summer 1, summer 2, or the summer quarter). Please note that students who complete their program during summer 2 may elect to utilize summer 1 as a vacation term.
- For F-1 Students completing in summer 1: Your I-20 end date will be shortened to reflect the end of summer 1
- For J-1 Students completing in summer 1: Your DS-2019 end date will be shortened to reflect the end of summer 1 if you do not plan to apply for post-completion Academic Training (AT)
- All CPS graduate students completing in the summer quarter must maintain full-time enrollment and on-ground presence for the duration of the quarter
As students in their final term before graduation may be eligible for a final term reduced course load (RCL), please review the “Final Term” guidelines provided by OGS to understand how to maintain your student status.
If you plan to travel during the summer term, please review all the travel guidance provided by OGS.