F-1 students may apply to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for Post-Completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) work authorization, which helps them apply their classroom learning to the real-world.

F-1 students who receive Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) degrees and meet the requirements below are eligible to apply for a 24-month extension of their Post-Completion Optional Practical Training (OPT).

If you want to switch your F-1 student status to an H-1B temporary employment status after completing a program of study or Post-Completion Optional Practical Training (OPT), read below about the cap gap extension.

Sometimes in life, the unexpected happens. If you experience a financial hardship and you are currently studying in the USA on an F-1 visa, you may request an employment authorization.

As a J-2 dependent, you may be eligible to work in the USA. Not sure what you need to apply for employment? The Office of Global Services can help you craft a cover letter and figure out which documents you need to land your dream job.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is a benefit for eligible F-1 students to authorize off-campus practical training physically located within the U.S. as required by a student’s curriculum or any co-op experience.

If you are an F-1 student, you may be eligible to participate in Optional Practical Training (OPT), which helps students gain relevant work experience within their field of study.

With Academic Training, eligible J-1 students can deepen their Northeastern experience with employment opportunities that relate to their field of study.

F-1 students on Post-Completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) are required to report specific changes of their status to the Office of Global Services. See the full list below.

Stipended Graduate Assistantships (SGA) help eligible F-1 and J-1 students to successfully participate in part-time teaching while performing world-class research.

In order to maintain your F-1 student status, please review these guidelines regarding unauthorized employment on Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

At Northeastern University, F-1 and J-1 students are encouraged to give back so others can get ahead. While volunteering may seem simple, it is actually a complex area in which immigration regulations and labor laws intersect.

Want to work outside the U.S.? Do you have an opportunity to participate in an international co-op? International students need to get an approval from the Office of Global Services (OGS). OGS also provides some helpful tips on traveling abroad and re-entering the U.S.