F-1 Students on an approved period of Post-OPT must abide by specific reporting requirements. All changes/updates must be reported to Student and Exchange Visitor Program Portal (SEVP Portal). You will receive an email with instructions on creating your SEVP Portal once your Post-OPT has been approved and within a few days of the start date on their EAD.
The following must be reported to the SEVP Portal within 10-days of the change or update:
- Changes to your address or contact information
- New employment
- Name of company
- Address of company
- This is the address from where you are conducting your work
- Start and end dates with company
- Description of how the work is related to your course of study/major
- Changes to your current employment
If for any reason you are unable to report via the SEVP Portal, you may report your changes/updates and any issues with the SEVP Portal to OGS via the OPT Issue Reporting e-form found on the Optional Practical Training Central page in myOGS.
Failure to Report
It is your personal responsibility to provide all contact and employment information to the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) Portal. Failing to report Post-OPT employment and/or changes to your employment may result in the automatic termination of your SEVIS record.
Additional Reporting Requirements While on Post-OPT
I’m going to discontinue Post-OPT and depart the U.S.
- You must submit the Request to Complete Optional Practical Training & SEVIS Record e-form with a copy of a flight itinerary indicating you have/will depart the U.S.
I’m going to change my status from F-1 to another status (e.g. H-1B)
- You must report this change to the OGS using the appropriate e-form.
I’m going to begin a new program of study at Northeastern or Transfer to another SEVP-certified institution in the U.S.
Unemployment During Post-OPT
You are permitted to have up to 90 days of unemployment during the Post-OPT period (within the dates of authorization on your EAD). If you exceed 90 days of unemployment, then you are considered out of status; there is no additional grace period after these 90 days. These 90 days will start accruing from the start date listed on your EAD and will stop once you begin working and update your employment in the SEVP Portal.
Please note that you are permitted 90 days total throughout your Post-Completion OPT period, and if you are eligible and approved for STEM OPT, any days of unemployment that you did not use during your Post-Completion OPT period may be carried over to your STEM OPT period.
If you are not currently employed, you should not travel outside of the U.S. as you may be denied entry by Customs and Border Protection
Exceeding Unemployment Days
If employment is not updated in the SEVP Portal within 90 days of the start date on your EAD card, or you accrue more than 90 days of unemployment during your Post-OPT period, your SEVIS record may be automatically terminated. It is your responsibility to keep a personal record of all OPT activity.
Invalidating your Post-OPT
Your Post-OPT will be invalidated if you:
- Start a new program of study
- Transfer your SEVIS record to a new college or university
- Change your immigration/visa status
- Enter the U.S. using any visa status other than an F-1
- Violate your immigration status
Studying while on Post-OPT
This is only allowed for recreational and professional development purposes—enrolling in a degree program will invalidate your OPT.
The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) Portal is a tool for you as an F-1 student to report your contact information and employer information directly to SEVIS while on Post-Completion OPT. You will be able to see your information in the portal as it is reported in SEVIS and will be able to update it as needed. You will be able to make changes to your address, telephone number, and employer information.
If you experience any of the following issues, you must complete the OPT Issue Reporting section of OGS Post-Completion OPT Central:
- Your SEVP portal is inactive even though your Post-OPT has been approved and you received your EAD
- You are locked out of SEVP Portal
- You are unable to log into SEVP Portal