Guidelines for traveling to Northeastern Campuses located in Canada

Updated September 13, 2023

The information on this website is intended to help you make necessary arrangements for your travel to Northeastern. Please read carefully the below information and check back regularly to make informed travel plans. As always, we are available to answer your questions and provide comprehensive advice and information on resources that may be helpful to you.

Register Your Travel Details with Northeastern
Students will need to register their travel with us once their visa is approved and they have a travel date. Please see travel registration links below: 

For any additional support, email us at: [email protected]  for questions about traveling to Canada.

Traveling to Canada

All travellers, regardless of citizenship, are no longer required to:

  • submit public health information through the ArriveCAN app or website;
  • provide proof of vaccination;
  • undergo pre- or on-arrival testing;
  • carry out COVID-19-related quarantine or isolation;
  • monitor and report if they develop signs or symptoms of COVID-19 upon arriving in Canada.

Please note that in case you have symptoms of COVID-19, you shouldn’t travel to Canada. If you transit through other countries on your way to Canada, please make sure to check their COVID-19 policies and guidelines in advance.

In case you feel sick or experience any symptoms of COVID-19 during your travel to Canada or upon arrival, you should:

  • inform the flight attendant, cruise staff, or a border services officer upon arrival. You may be referred to a Quarantine Officer for a health assessment and further direction.
  • avoid taking public transportation
  • refer to provincial or territorial requirements for what you need to do if you’re symptomatic or have tested positive for COVID-19

Note: Entry into Canada is determined by a border service officer at the time and place of entry, based on information provided by the traveler. Following the guidelines provided on this page in no way guarantees entry.

For more information on what to expect upon your arrival in Canada, the CBSA put together a video, see here.

The Canadian border services officers (CBSA) will make the final decision about whether you qualify.

Required Documents

When you arrive in Canada, you’ll meet a border services officer who will make sure you meet some basic requirements. To enter Canada, you must have;

  • Valid Study Permit or a letter of introduction, identifying you as a person who has been approved for a Study Permit.
  • Travel document, e.g. A valid passport.
  • A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or electronic travel authorization (e-TA) for non-US citizens.
  • A copy of the admissions letter/decision letter/deferral confirmation letter or email if applicable from Northeastern University.
  • A copy of the Proof of Acceptance (POA) letter that you submitted for your study permit application.
  • Valid and unexpired medical exam records. Please note that medical results are normally valid for 12 months from the moment of administration. This information is also available on the Study Permit approval letter.
  • Proof of financial support.
  • Any other document that you are advised to provide by IRCC.

If you have applied for a study permit (and co-op work permit, if applicable) and have not yet received your visa and/or letter of introduction, do not travel to Canada until you have received these documents. Be sure to review all your documentation and ensure your information is correct before traveling. If not, please contact IRCC.

Please see here for an informative video by CBSA on documents required upon arrival into Canada.

This is not an exhaustive documentation list, and you should always check the government of Canada’s advice IRCC before you travel.