What is a Stipended Graduate Assistantship?

Eligible F-1 and J-1 students in graduate programs may receive a Stipended Graduate Assistantships (SGA) through their academic department. These awards generally include a stipend, tuition remission, and health plan. F/J students cannot work on-campus while holding an SGA, and are not eligible for overload work.

If you have a position on campus that is titled “Assistant” (e.g. Research Assistant, Teaching Assistant), but you are paid hourly through the Office of Student Employment, Graduate Assistantships & Fellowships, then you most likely do not have an SGA. Stipended Graduate Assistantships are a package offered through the department and you will receive a letter that outlines the details of the SGA.

In order to receive payment for your SGA, you must obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) through the Social Security Administration (SSA). You can learn more about applying for an SSN below.

For more specific information about receiving an SGA, please check with your Graduate School.


Applying for a Social Security Number (SSN)

If you do not already have an SSN, please follow the steps below.

1 Submit a request to OGS

Complete the Stipended Graduate Assistantships Social Security Number Letter Request. You will be asked to provide information such as the College where you will be providing services and your start date.

2 Pick-up your letter

Once your college has confirmed that you have an SGA, a Designated School Official (DSO) from OGS will review your submission and generate the letter. You will receive the letter electronically via email when it has been processed.

3 Apply for your Social Security Number

Present the letter to the Social Security Administration (SSA) in order to apply for an SSN. For detailed instructions on how to apply for a Social Security Number, refer to the Social Security Number section of the OGS website.

It is the student’s responsibility to notify OGS if there are any changes to their SGA.