Visa Renewal Process

The process of renewing your visa is similar to the initial visa process you completed before arrival. You must renew your visa while you are abroad. Please note that you are not able to renew your visa while in the U.S.

You will need to contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country. For more details about the visa application process, please review the F-1 and J-1 Visa Process pages.

Recommended Documents for Current Students:

  • Online Non-immigrant Visa Application Form (DS-160) confirmation page
  • Visa application fee payment receipt (visit the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate website for specific instructions)
  • Original Form I-20 with valid travel signature issued by the Office of Global Services
  • Valid passport (should be valid for at least six months after your date of entry to the U.S.)
  • Evidence of financial support (proof of sufficient funds for estimated cost of living and tuition for one academic year)
  • Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) I-901 fee payment receipt
  • A copy of your acceptance letter to Northeastern University
  • One photograph (see the U.S. Department of State website for photo requirements)
  • Enrollment Verification (optional)

Additional Documents for Students on Post-OPT/STEM Extension:

  • Valid EAD Card
  • Proof of Employment (optional)

Travel to Canada, Mexico, or U.S. adjacent islands

If you travel to Canada, Mexico, or one of the islands adjacent to the U.S. (other than Cuba) for less than thirty days with your valid passport, a valid form I-20 or form DS-2019, and your most recent form I-94, you may be eligible to travel with an expired F or J visa. This process is known as automatic visa revalidation. However, you must meet certain conditions in order to be eligible for automatic visa revalidation. Please visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection and the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement for more information on eligibility.