F-1 Orientation January 2023 for Undergraduate F-1 Students
Orientation information for new international F-1 undergraduate students beginning their program in January 2023:
The OGS International student orientation will be a part of the Husky 101 orientation. Please see the Husky 101 orientation page for more information about the Undergraduate orientation (including international student orientation.
F-1 Orientation January 2023 for F-1 Graduate Students and all F-1 students in the College of Professional Studies
Orientation information for new international students on an F-1 visa beginning their program in January 2023 in the following colleges:
- Graduate students in all colleges
- Undergraduate students in the College of Professional Studies
Below you will find information about the International Student Orientation that is designed to ease your transition to a new city and to help you learn more your responsibilities as an international student at Northeastern. Your attendance in the OGS International Student Orientation is mandatory and will be recorded in your international student record.
- If you have deferred your program and will not begin your studies at Northeastern this semester, you should wait to attend orientation until you begin your program in the U.S.
- This orientation is in addition to the orientation from your academic department
For the OGS International Student Orientation, you can choose how you would like to attend:
1) In person
2) Through an asynchronous Canvas course you can complete on your own schedule.
Pick an option that best suits your schedule and learning style. The information is the same so you do not need to attend both.
In Person Option
- The synchronous in-person orientation is a good option if:
- You want to be able to ask questions to OGS staff in real-time.
- Attend one of the two orientation sessions in person (pre-registration recommended)
- Attendance criteria
- Attend full session; partial attendance will not be counted.
- Pass the surveys and polls that are presented during the session.
Asynchronous (Interactive Canvas Module) Option
- Asynchronous orientation is a course you will be automatically added to in a learning platform called Canvas. Through this, you can go through each orientation module on your own time. You must complete the orientation before January 31st.
- The asynchronous Canvas course will be available to you starting on December 23rd.
- Asynchronous orientation is a good option if:
- You like self-directed learning and want to be able to move through the information at your own pace.
- The synchronous webinars do not fit your schedule.
- You are worried that your internet connection won’t sufficiently stream a webinar.
- The Canvas course must be completed in the Firefox web browser.
- Attendance criteria
- Complete all orientation segments; partial completion will not be counted.
- Pass polls and quizzes that are shared in the modules.
J-1 Student Orientation Spring 2023 - Boston
In this virtual information session we will review the role of the Office of Global Services, immigration documents, how to maintain J-1 visa status, health insurance requirements, travel, employment and Social Security Numbers, and a Q&A period. Topics covered will also include an introduction to academic and cultural life in the U.S. The session will go for approximately one hour and a half.
Please register in advance for one of the virtual orientation sessions by clicking one of the links below. You only need to attend one session, as the content is the same for each session. Please pick the session that works best for your schedule:
Attending a Regional Campus? Click one of the buttons below.
Portland, Maine Orientation Information