F-1 Orientation Fall 2022
Graduate Students and all students in the College of Professional Studies
Orientation information for new international students beginning their program in September 2022 in the following colleges:
- Graduate students in all colleges
- Undergraduate students in the College of Professional Studies
Below you will find information about the International Student Orientation that is designed to ease your transition to a new city and to help you learn more your responsibilities as an international student at Northeastern. Your attendance in the OGS International Student Orientation is mandatory and will be recorded in your international student record.
- If you have deferred your program and will not begin your studies at Northeastern this semester, you should wait to attend orientation until you begin your program in the U.S.
- If you will remain outside the U.S. and plan to start your program remotely this semester, this Orientation is not mandatory at this time, but we do we recommend that you review it. You will be required to complete the orientation for your first semester in the U.S. on your F-1 visa.
- This orientation is in addition to the orientation from your academic department
For the OGS International Student Orientation, you can choose how you would like to attend: 1) through a synchronous/ live webinar session or 2) through an asynchronous Canvas course you can complete on your own schedule. Pick an option that best suits your schedule and learning style. The information is the same so you do not need to attend both.
Synchronous (Live Webinar) Option
- Synchronous orientation is a good option if:
- You want to be able to ask questions to OGS staff in real-time.
- You have a stable internet connection that can stream an entire orientation session. Attendance at the entire orientation session is required.
- Attend one of the three orientation sessions using your Northeastern email address (pre-registration recommended)
- Attend full session; partial attendance will not be counted.
- Pass the surveys and polls that are presented during the session.
Asynchronous (Interactive Module) Option
- Asynchronous orientation is a course you will be automatically added to in a learning platform called Canvas. Through this, you can go through each orientation module on your own time. You must complete the orientation before October 1st.
- The asynchronous Canvas course will be available to you starting on August 31.
- Asynchronous orientation is a good option if:
- You like self-directed learning and want to be able to move through the information at your own pace.
- The synchronous webinars do not fit your schedule.
- You are worried that your internet connection won’t sufficiently stream a webinar.
- The Canvas course must be completed in the Firefox web browser.
- Attendance criteria
- Complete all orientation segments; partial completion will not be counted.
- Pass polls and quizzes that are shared in the modules.
J-1 Student Orientation Fall 2022 - Boston
In this virtual information session we will review the role of the Office of Global Services, immigration documents, how to maintain J-1 visa status, health insurance requirements, travel, employment and Social Security Numbers, and a Q&A period. Topics covered will also include an introduction to academic and cultural life in the U.S. The session will go for approximately one hour and a half.
Please register in advance for one of the virtual orientation sessions by clicking one of the links below. You only need to attend one session, as the content is the same for each session. Please pick the session that works best for your schedule:
Global Pathways and N.U. Immerse
Orientation information for new international students in the Global Pathways and NU Immerse programs beginning their program in September 2022.
The Office of Global Services will hold a session on how to maintain your student status within the Global Pathways and NU Immerse orientations. Orientation will take place between Monday, August 29th and Friday, September 2nd.
For more information regarding the orientation schedule, please contact [email protected].
Attending a Regional Campus? Click one of the buttons below.
Portland, Maine Orientation Information