Required Minimum Funding
Please be aware that the minimum funding required per year is the following:
- $28,000 for J-1 Visiting Student
- $14,000 for spouse
- $7,000 per child
The total financial support declared above should match or exceed the estimated living costs of the J-1 Visiting Student and their dependents, if applicable.
IMPORTANT: J-1 Visiting Students can only use personal or family funds for up to 50% of the required minimum funding. This means that more than 50% of the required funding needs to come from Northeastern University, their home institution, or another funding source.
A J-1 Visiting Student with a spouse and two children staying for one year would need to show $28,000 for themselves, $14,000 for the spouse, and $14,000 for the children: $56,000 in total.
A J-1 Visiting Student would only be able to show half of $56,000, or $28,000, in personal or family funds. They would also need to provide at least $28,000 from Northeastern, their home institution, or another funding source.
Guidelines for acceptable proof of funds
Funding from sources other than Northeastern (private sponsor, government funding, scholarships, personal funds, etc.) will be considered towards meeting Northeastern’s minimum funding requirements, with the following restrictions:
- All documentation must be officially translated into English and the translation must be certified; currency must be clearly referenced and converted into USD.
- If you are providing a bank statement(s), it must include the following information:
- official English translation
- account holder’s name
- amount available
- issue date (the bank statement cannot be older than 9 months upon receipt by OGS)
- If you have multiple statements, upload all documents in this category together into one PDF and attach the coversheet.
- Documentation must be copies of originals (please note that the U.S. Consulate requires original documentation during the visa application process).
Sponsorship by family member(s)
If the J-1 Visiting Student will be supported financially by a family member(s), please submit the following:
- Financial institution documentation, such as bank statements or letters, including name of the financial sponsor; documentation must be recent, and not older than 9 months upon receipt by the Office of Global Services (OGS)
- A letter signed by the financial sponsor attesting that the J-1 Visiting Student is entitled to the funds in the sponsor’s account
Sponsorship by home country organizations
In cases in which the documentation reflects a range in funding, OGS will use the lowest figure in the range, unless the J-1 Visiting Student provides a letter from the funding source indicating otherwise.
If J-1 Visiting Student is sponsored by his/her home country employer (e.g., during a sabbatical from the home university), the letter from the employer must state that the J-1 Visiting Student will continue receiving a salary while at Northeastern University (salary statement alone is not sufficient).
OGS retains the right to request original documentation or other means of clarification.
Failure to follow the instructions above will result in the delay of DS-2019 issuance.