J-2 dependent

A J-2 dependent may receive authorization from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for the duration of the J-1 Exchange Visitor’s (EV) program. If the J-2 dependent meets the required criteria and complies with the guidelines for employment, any type of lawful employment is permitted, whether full- or part-time. However, the work cannot be for the purpose of supporting the J-1 spouse or parent.

To apply for employment, the J-2 dependent must submit the following to USCIS:

  • G-1145, e-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance
  • Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization
  • $410 check or money order payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security
  • Letter explaining why work authorization is sought (see sample below), written by J-2 applicant; the letter should state that employment is not necessary to support the J-1
  • Photocopies of the J-2 and J-1’s current and prior DS-2019s
  • Two passport photos
    • Photos should be passport style: white background, unmounted glossy, with a full face position, not retouched
    • Photos should not be taken earlier than 30 days before submission to USCIS
    • Lightly print your name and SEVIS ID on the back of each photo with a pencil
  • Photocopy of the identification page in J-2’s passport
  • Photocopy of the visa page in J-2’s passport
  • J-2’s I-94
  • Photocopies of any Employment Authorization Document (EAD) cards previously issued to the J-2
  • Photocopy of the J-2’s driver’s license or other photo identification, if available
  • Marriage certificate (if spouse of the J-1), or birth certificate (if child of the J-1)
    • Foreign-language documents should include an official English translation

Employment is generally authorized for the duration of the DS-2019 and may be renewed if the J-1’s program is extended.

Please find a Sample Letter below in the Key Resources.

Key Resources

Sample Letter for J-2 Employment »

This letter is to help J-2 visa holders request employment authorization.