What is an I-20?

An I-20 is a U.S. immigration document issued by a university to certify that an F-1 student has met admission requirements and has proof of sufficient financial resources for his/her studies. An I-20 is required to apply for an F-1 student visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad.

Newly admitted international students that have paid a deposit should request an I-20. The Office of Global Services (OGS) encourages you to submit your initial I-20 request as soon as possible because the visa process takes time.

Who is an Initial student?

New international students coming from outside the U.S. that are seeking F-1 visa status.

Who is a Transfer Student?

If a student currently has an Active Student and Exchange Visitor System (SEVIS) record with another SEVP-certified institution in the U.S., they may be eligible to transfer their SEVIS record to Northeastern University. Transfer students must:

  1. Request to have their SEVIS record transferred out from their current institution to Northeastern University
  2. Apply for a Transfer I-20 from Northeastern University


It is important that you work with the Designated School Official (DSO) at your current school’s international office on the specific process and required documentation needed to complete your transfer-out request. As your current school holds your SEVIS record, you must first start the transfer process there. 

After completion of the transfer out process, your current institution will set a transfer release date for your SEVIS record. This is the date that your record will be transferred to Northeastern University. In general, your transfer release date has to be within 60-days from the expiration date on your I-20. 

Please be sure to confirm with your current school that your record will be transferred to the correct campus at Northeastern. Campus locations include Boston, Seattle, Silicon Valley, Oakland, Arlington, Portland and Charlotte. 

Your I-20 form from Northeastern cannot be issued until you complete the required steps of requesting a Transfer I-20 with OGS. In addition, your I-20 cannot be issued until your SEVIS record has been released by your transfer out school to Northeastern. 


You can submit a Transfer I-20 request only afteryou have been officially admitted to a full-time program of study.  At that time, you will then be able to submit an electronic I-20 request through myOGS. OGS encourages you to submit your Transfer I-20 request as soon as possible to provide ample time for the issuance of the I-20 prior to your enrollment. 


  • Boston Campus: BOS214F00257000
  • Charlotte Campus: BOS214F00257001
  • Seattle Campus: BOS214F00257002
  • Silicon Valley Campus: BOS214F00257003
  • Portland (The Roux Institute) Campus: BOS214F00257007
  • Arlington Campus: BOS214F00257009
  • Mills (Oakland) Campus: BOS214F00257008

Who is a Change of Status student?

If you are currently in the U.S. in a non-immigrant status (B-1/B-2, F-1, F-2, H-1b or H-4) and would like to change to a different non-immigrant status (F-1, F-2, J-1 or J-2), you must apply for a Change of Status I-20. Once you’ve received the Change of Status I-20 there are two options: 

  • Option 1: You may travel outside of the U.S., apply for a visa at a U.S. Embassy with all required materials, and re-enter the U.S. in the new status. This option is often referred to as Consular Processing. 
  • Option 2: You may apply to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to change your status without leaving the U.S. by completing Form I-539 Application to extend/change your non-immigrant status. This process can take between 6 and 9 months and it is recommended you do not travel while your application is in process. 

Please note: If your change of status application is approved by USCIS (option 2), your new F/J status will be active; however, you will not receive a corresponding visa in your passport that reflects the new status. As a result, you will need to apply for a new visa stamp at an embassy/consulate outside of the U.S. in order to re-enter the U.S. in F/J status.

To learn more about change of status and see which option is best for you, please schedule an appointment with an advisor at the Office of Global Services (OGS) by calling +1-617-373-2310. 

Video: Change to F-1 Student Status 

Video: Change to F-1 Student Status within the U.S. 



We don’t recommend traveling outside of the U.S. while your application with USCIS is still pending. If you can’t avoid traveling, please consult with OGS beforehand as you may need to reach out to USCIS to withdraw your application prior to traveling and submit a new I-20 request with OGS. 


In order to be eligible for both CPT and OPT, you must have maintained full time enrollment with appropriate on-ground presence for at least one academic year. One academic year is defined as two semesters or three quarters. It may be possible for you to use your time in another status towards meeting the one academic year. 

If you are a change of status student and have questions about CPT/OPT eligibility, please call OGS to schedule an appointment with an advisor by calling +1-617-373-2310. 


What is a Change of Degree Level?

If you are a current, continuing student at Northeastern and you will be starting a new program at Northeastern, you must submit a Change of Degree Level e-form request to myOGS prior to starting the new program.

Please see the Guidelines on Maintaining Status page for more information.

Suggested Deadlines to Submit Your I-20 Request

OGS recommends that you submit your completed I-20 request e-form by the following dates to allow time for visa processing. The suggested deadlines are a guide and do not guarantee you will receive the visa in time for your program.

Summer CPS Quarter 2023 (July 10 start date)

May 22, 2023 Initial I-20 Grad Certificate, M.S. and PhD. For students outside of the US

June 19, 2023 Transfer I-20 request or international students already in the US

Fall Semester Graduate 2023 (September 6 start date) (excluding CPS)

July 31, 2023 Initial I-20 Grad Certificate, M.S. and PhD. For students outside of the US

August 21, 2023 Transfer I-20 request or international students already in the US

Fall Semester Undergraduate 2023 (September 6 start date)

July 15, 2023 Initial and Transfer I-20 Requests

Fall CPS Quarter 2023 (September 18 start date)

August 1, 2023 Initial I-20 Grad Certificate, M.S. and PhD. For students outside of the US

August 28, 2023 Transfer I-20 request or international students already in the US

How to prepare and submit an online request:

After confirming your enrollment, you will be able to submit an electronic I-20 request through myOGS.

1 Confirm your Enrollment

You are required to confirm your enrollment by following the instructions on your official decision letter, which may include arranging to pay (e.g. by credit card) an enrollment deposit. This transaction is required of all admitted students before they initiate the I-20 process.

Most students can login to their application account/official decision letter using one of the following links: 

  • College of Professional Studies programs application link. 
  • D’Amore-McKim School of Business programs application links. 
  • For most other graduate programs, original applicants for the Fall 2023 term may use this application link; applicants who applied for terms before Fall 2023 and/or who may have deferred to Fall 2023 may use this application link. 

2 Required documents for the I-20 request e-form. They must be in digital format of PDF or JPEG.

3 Access the I-20 request e-form.

Click here to submit your I-20 request.