Legal Status After a Dismissal

As study permit holders, international students are required to stay enrolled at a DLI and actively pursue their program of study in Canada. Therefore, a student should begin or resume their studies at their new institution within 150 days from the day that they ceased their studies at Northeastern University Canadian campuses.  If a student is not able to resume the studies within 150 days with another eligible DLI, they should:  


  •         Change their status (that is, change to visitor status or worker status), OR
  •         Leave Canada 


If a student is not enrolled in their program, and do not change status or leave Canada within 150 days of ending their studies, they are considered non-compliant with the study permit conditions.  

Work Eligibility After Dismissal

International students are no longer authorized to work on their study permit on/off campus in Canada after being dismissed from their study at Northeastern University Canadian campuses. Students who hold a valid co-op work permit may not undertake a co-op or internship placement after dismissal and may not use their co-op work permit to work on or off campus. 


Non-compliance with study permit conditions may result in enforcement action; that is, an exclusion order can be issued for non-compliance, per subparagraph R228(1)(c)(v) in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations.  


Non-compliance with study permit conditions or engaging in unauthorized work or study may also negatively affect future applications that are made under the IRPA and IRPR. For example, a subsequent study permit or work permit may not be issued until a period of 6 months has passed, since the cessation of the unauthorized work or study or failure to comply with a condition, per section R221 and subsection R200(3).  

Academic Dismissal Appeal

Please note that even if you are in the process of appealing a decision of academic dismissal, the Legal status and Work eligibility requirements mentioned above still apply to you.   

  •         If you choose to leave Canada after being academically dismissed and wait for the decision outside of Canada, when the appeal is allowed, you can use your study permit and visa to come back to Canada to study provided they are still valid; 
  •         If you choose to stay in Canada after being dismissed and wait for the decision in Canada during the first 150 days after dismissal, you are not authorized to undertake any type of work in Canada. You may use your valid study permit to resume your study if you are re-admitted and if you resume the program in the first 150 days after dismissal, provided your study permit is still valid; if the study permit is about to expire when you resume your study, you must apply to extend your study permit before the expiry date; 
  •         If you choose to stay in Canada after being dismissed but you are not re-admitted resuming your study in the first 150 days after dismissal, you need to leave Canada or change your status to a visitor.