How to Request a Travel Letter During COVID-19

If you are an international student and planning to travel to Vancouver or Toronto Campus during the COVID-19 instructions, please follow the steps outlined in the Pre-Arrival Checklist, located on our FAQ page to request a Travel Letter prior to your trip. More details about the travel and quarantine requirements are included on this FAQ page.

Please make sure you understand the travel restrictions, and check if you are eligible to enter Canada.

View the information on the Canadian government’s website.

Submit all requests related to your Travel Letter to: [email protected]

Register Your Travel

The Office of Global Services strongly recommends that students register their travel plans prior to entering Canada. The University has a robust set of services in place to support travelers but can only do so if your location is registered and known. Click here to access the Travel Registry.

Entering Canada

OGS recommends that students arrive no earlier than 30 days before their program start date. Canadian immigration regulations do not specify a timeline for when a student can arrive before the program start date, however the border services officer may question a student’s intention should they arrive months before the start of the program. If you meet the requirements to work on or off campus as stated on your study permit, you may not begin working until your classes have started, so there is no advantage to arriving too early.

When you travel, make sure to have the following documents in your carry-on bag:

  • A valid passport
  • Letter of Introduction/Port of Entry (POE) Letter – contains permit reference number
  • A copy of the admission letter from Northeastern University
  • The POA letter
  • Proof that you have enough money to support yourself during your stay in Canada
  • Letters of reference or any other documents
  • Either a valid eTA or Temporary resident visa
  • Any other document as required by IRCC or the Government of Canada
  • Please do not travel with large sums of cash for your own safety. If you do choose to travel with cash, please make sure you declare any amount of $10,000 CAD (in all currencies) or more, or you could have your money seized.

Cost of Living

In order to better assist students with financial planning, we have a dedicated page with information about the cost of living in Vancouver and Toronto. Click here!

Health Insurance

For additional information about health insurance for students while studying in Canada, click here!

Working While Studying

Interested in working? Click here for more information.