Traveling to the New College of the Humanities (NCH) London (UK)
UPDATED 06/29/2021 11:48 AM
As Northeastern responds to the global COVID-19 pandemic, our number one priority remains the health and well-being of our students and community. At each of our campus locations, our plans are guided by real-time COVID-19 updates and follow guidance from public health and government authorities.
The information on this website is intended to help you make necessary arrangements for your travel to Northeastern. Please read carefully the below information and check back regularly to make informed travel plans. As always, we are available to answer your questions and provide comprehensive advice and information on resources that may be helpful to you.
Traveling to England
Note: If you have been in or traveled through a country on the UK’s banned travel list within the 10 days before arrival, you will not be allowed to enter. This excludes British, and Irish citizens, and residents of the UK. Check the countries currently on the banned travel list here.
For the arrivals to the UK, the following guidance is in effect from May 17, 2020:
If you have been in a country or a territory on the:
- Green list – you must take a COVID-19 test on day 2 upon arrival
- Amber list – you must quarantine in the place you are staying and take two (2) COVID-19 test
- Red list – you must quarantine in a hotel and take two (2) COVID-19 tests
NOTE: You must follow these rules even if you have been vaccinated.
Before You Travel
1 Complete Passenger Locator Form
Complete Passenger Locator Form
- Travelers will need to provide travel and contact details 48 hours before arriving in the UK.
- Travelers will need to provide proof of a completed Passenger Locator Form upon travel check-in as well as at arrival in the UK.
2 Obtain Proof of a Negative COVID-19 Test Result
- Test must be taken no more than 72 hours before departure for the UK.
- Results can be shown via printed document or via email/text message.
- Types of tests accepted and additional information can be found here.
3 Determine if hotel quarantine is required
4 COVID Testing
- If the country you have travelled from is on the Amber list, you are still required to purchase two COVID-19 test kits to take during your 10-day at-home quarantine.
- If you travel from a green list country you do not need to quarantine but you are required to take a test on day two upon arrival.
Test kits can be purchased here.
At Border Control
- Present proof of completed Passenger Locator Form
- More information on what to expect at the UK border can be found here
Quarantining upon arrival/ managed hotel quarantine
Travelers arriving from outside the Common Travel Area (Ireland, the Channel Island or the Isle of Man) and not from a banned travel listed country must:
- Quarantine for 10 days. Instructions for quarantine can be found here.
- Take a COVID-19 test on the 2nd and 8th day of their quarantine.
- Follow all national lockdown guidelines.
Option to end self-isolation through private Test-to-Release
Travelers self-isolating at their final destination have the option to test-to-release as early as the 5th day from quarantine.
To do this, before entering England, travelers will need to:
- Book a COVID-19 test with an eligible private provider.
- Make sure to use the “Test to Release” scheme on the Passenger Locator Form.
For more information on test-to-release see here.
Travel Guidelines for Remainder of the UK
Traveling to Scotland
Traveling to Wales
Traveling to Northern Ireland
Everyone is legally required to comply with COVID-19 regulations. Where people do not comply with the regulations, appropriate authorities such as the police and Border Force have the power to enforce the law.
Travel restrictions are correct at time of publication May 13, 2021. The UK Government will be reviewing travel restrictions regularly monitoring the red, amber, and green lists.
All students on NCH programs are expected to arrive in the U.K. by the latest acceptance date.
One–semester – Standard Visitor Visa
The latest date students should arrive in London is the 5th September 2021. NCH provides students with a supporting visa letter that confirms program particulars, including program dates, to provide to the U.K. Border Control upon arrival.
There should be no issues at Border Control for late arrivals. If you experience any issues at Border Control, please contact [email protected] The length of your stay cannot exceed six months and cannot be extended.
Two–semester – Student Route Visa
The latest date students should arrive in London is the 5th September. If the student is not arriving within the deadline, then the immigration officers at the port of entry may refuse entry to the U.K. If the student is unable to join the program by the latest acceptance date, then they must inform the GEO office at Northeastern University, who informs the NCH visa compliance office to commence withdrawal of the visa sponsorship with the UKVI. The earliest a student can arrive in the U.K. is a month before their course start date.
The university understands that international travel during this time may be challenging due to restrictions and guidelines issued by individual countries.
Please be advised that requirements to enter any country, including the United States, are subject to change without notice. The university cannot confirm that you will be admitted into any specific country as entry into any country is at the sole discretion of the immigration/government authorities of that country, and the requirements may vary.
The following guidance is solely for informational purposes. It is your decision whether you chose to travel to campus. You should adhere to the health and travel guidance issued by your home country, and the each countries that you intend to depart from, transit through (if applicable), and arrive to.
Any mention of a transit country or airline does not constitute an endorsement of the country or airline.
Wherever possible, we have provided the direct link to public resources and government issued guidance. If the link is broken, please notify [email protected].