Steps the Office of Global Services (OGS) will take

According to federal government regulations, OGS is required to take action once the office has been notified of your withdrawal from your academic program at Northeastern University. The action OGS will take is to either terminate your Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) record or to transfer your SEVIS record to another institution in the U.S. if you wish to transfer.

Option 1: Termination of the SEVIS record

If you notify OGS that you are withdrawing from your program before you do so, OGS will be able to terminate your SEVIS record for authorized reasons and you will be given a 15-day grace period to depart the U.S.

If you do not give OGS advance notification of your withdrawal from your program, we will need to terminate your SEVIS record for not maintaining status. There will be no grace period associated with this kind of termination and you should depart the U.S. immediately. If you have already departed the U.S., you may not use your current I-20 to re-enter the U.S.

Please note that if you are still in the country and you have already withdrawn from Northeastern University and not taken any action, please read the section on unlawful presence.

Option 2: Transfer to another institution in the U.S.

If you choose to transfer to another school in the U.S. and if OGS receives your transfer request prior to your withdrawal from the University, we may be able to transfer your SEVIS record to your new school rather than terminating your record. Please consult with OGS regarding your eligibility to transfer out.

Key Resources

Notification to OGS of University Withdrawal »

This form is to notify OGS of your withdrawal from the university.

End of Program Notification (J-1 Scholar) »

This for is for J-1 Scholars who finish their program more than 15 days prior to the program end date.

Transfer Out Request »

The completion and submission of this form will initiate the process of transferring the student out of Northeastern to another academic institution in the U.S.