Learn what options are available to F-1 students who have been academically dismissed from Northeastern University.

As an F-1 or J-1 student, there is so much to learn, explore, and discover in the U.S., and the Office of Global Services (OGS) encourages you to do it all. Before you do, please understand what documents you should carry with you when traveling within the the U.S. or its territories.

Learn what international students must do to regain their F-1 status through readmission to the USA.

When you fall “out of compliance/status,” it is important to know how you can get reinstated.

In general, F-1 and J-1 students are required to maintain a full-time enrollment status even in their final academic term. Learn the exception.

While it is your responsibility to maintain your status, the Office of Global Services is here to help guide you through the complexities of the US government regulations and procedures.

Obtaining a J-1 international scholar sponsorship is a collaborative effort at Northeastern University—led by the Office of Global Services. See the steps below.

Before traveling abroad, international students need to make sure they have the proper documentation to re-enter the U.S. which includes a valid travel signature.

The Office of Global Services (OGS) works with J-1 student interns to provide the guidance and support they need in maintaining their status.

Maintaining your J-1 scholar status is critical to staying part of the Northeastern community. Below is a comprehensive list that covers topics ranging from the required authorizations you will need to obtaining incidental employment.

During your time at Northeastern University, it may become necessary to take a medical leave of absence. The instructions for taking and returning from a medical leave are described below.

During your time at Northeastern University, it may become necessary to take a non-medical leave of absence. Students who need a non-medical leave of absence, which includes any reason that is not medical, will need to apply to the Office of Global Services (OGS) as well as to their college/graduate school for this request.

F-1 students who need a program extension must meet certain requirements, which are explained below.

F-1 and J-1 students must enroll in and maintain a full-time course load; however, federal regulations allow international students to reduce their course load in certain limited academic circumstances.

There are a number of ways an F-1 student may fall “out of compliance/status.” The Office of Global Services (OGS) works with international students to help them get back on track.

Depending on the length of your program and duration of your visa, your visa may expire during your program at Northeastern University. If your visa expires, you will need to renew it before you re-enter the U.S. after traveling abroad.

Once you wish to return to the U.S. to resume your studies, you must contact the Office of Global Services (OGS) so that they can either request a reactivation of your SEVIS record with the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP), or process a new initial I-20 for you.

When you attend Northeastern University as a J-1 scholar, you will quickly learn that the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System contacts can help you achieve your career and academic goals.

Northeastern encourages students to have many global experiences. F-1 or J-1 students who will participate in an Northeastern study abroad program need to know what documents to bring on their adventure.

Occasionally, F-1 students will decide to transfer out of Northeastern University. When this occurs, the Office of Global Services (OGS) staff will support your decision and help you experience a seamless transition.

Northeastern is a global university. So, it goes without saying that traveling to engage with the world is encouraged. And for international students and their dependents, it will require the right documents and authorizations.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) new policy directed to F, J or M visa holders. The policy guidance states that “unlawful presence” will begin accruing the day after a student violates his or her immigration status. This policy has severe consequences.

Learn what options are available to F-1 students that withdraw from Northeastern University and what steps the Office of the Global Services (OGS) will need take