Customs and Border Protection

Deferred Inspection is part of Customs and Border Protection. These sites provide assistance to individuals at the time of entry or after their entry if an immediate decision was not able to be made. Typically, this is where F-1 or J-1 students go when they need to get an I-94 correction or a passport entry stamp.

Electronic arrival record/I-94

USA Customs and Border Protection inspects all foreign national students, scholars, dependents, and visitors to the USA arriving at an air, land, or sea border and grants admission to the USA in an appropriate immigration classification status (including F-1, J-1, etc). Admission to the USA in a specific immigration status is documented via an entry stamp in the passport as well as an electronic or paper I-94 arrival record. Electronic I-94 records can be downloaded and printed here.

Occasionally when entering the USA, errors may occur on the passport stamp notation, electronic I-94 record, or paper I-94 card. These errors must be corrected to ensure that the status of the student, scholar, dependent, or visitor is documented properly and that immigration benefits (such as permission to study or work) are correctly applied.

How can I correct my I-94 record?

There are two ways to correct an I-94 card/record or a passport stamp notation. If you need immediate assistance or if the error was made on your paper I-94 card or passport stamp, then you must go in person to the Deferred Inspection Office. However, if your passport notation is correct and the error was made to your electronic I-94 record, then you may be able to resolve this matter by e-mail.

Deferred Inspection Office

To correct an I-94 card/record or passport stamp in person, go to Logan International Airport – Terminal E and look for the Customs and Border Protection Office.

USA Customs and Border Protection hours: Monday – Friday
Terminal E, Room 500 (Lower level) 8:00 am to 4:00 pm*
Logan International Airport 617-568-1810
Boston, MA 02128

*Make sure to check the Customs and Border Protection website for any changes in business hours.

Take all of your original immigration documentation with you to this office and explain why you believe there is an error on your I-94 card, I-94 electronic record, or passport admission stamp, and ask for their assistance in having the error corrected.

If you are seeking correction to the I-94 card/record, or passport stamp of your dependent spouse or child, then your dependent must accompany you to the Deferred Inspection Office. Your dependent must take all of their original immigration documents with them.

Requesting an I-94 correction by e-mail

NOTE: Corrections to a paper I-94 card or passport stamp can only be done in person. Going to the Customs and Border Protection Deferred Inspection Office is also advisable for time-sensitive situations, as e-mail requests are handled only after all in-person cases are resolved.

However, if your passport admission stamp is correct, and there is an error on your I-94 electronic record, you may be eligible to request a correction of your electronic I-94. Email:

To request a correction to your I-94 electronic record, send a clear e-mail request to Boston Customs and Border Protection explaining the situation and the correction that is being requested. You will receive a notification telling you that your correction has been made.

Sample email

Regarding: I-94 Correction / Passport # _____________
Name: [Enter full legal name as it appears in passport]
Country of Citizenship:
Date of Birth:
Passport Number:
Student and Exchange Visitor Information System Number:
USA Visa Control Number:
Visa Expiration Date:
Class of Most Recent Admission:
Date of Last Arrival:
Port of Entry (Airport):

Dear Deferred Inspection:

I am requesting correction to my I-94 arrival record. I entered the USA through [PORT OF ENTRY] on [DATE].


Please find attached the following documents in support of this request for your review:  

  • I-94 entry record showing my most recent admission  
  • Copy of my passport biographical page  
  • Copy of my visa stamp AND admission/entry stamp for last admission to the USA  
  • Form I-20 / Form DS-2019 (as applicable)

[For F-1 students and J-1 students and scholars, as well as F-2 and J-2 dependents] I request admission to the USA for “D/S” (duration of status).

Thank you for your time. Should further information be required, please contact the Office of Global Services (OGS) at Northeastern University at 617-373-2310 or

Your name