ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The mission of the Office of Global Services’ Global Student Mentor Program is to support incoming international students as they transition to college life at Northeastern and to the culture of the United States, to foster engagement with the Northeastern community, and to improve resource utilization.
A peer mentor is a current student who spends time with new students to help them adjust to college life. Both international and domestic students can apply to be peer mentors. The students who receive mentorship are called “mentees.”
Prior to arrival, participating new students will connect with an OGS Global Student Mentor. After arrival, mentees will connect their mentor in person through one-on-one meetings and group gatherings. New students can ask questions and receive advice from the perspective of an experienced Northeastern student.
Mentors will develop their leadership and intercultural competence as they foster community-building and connect students to resources.
Northeastern has many different mentorship programs, so please review other options to find which program best supports your interest and needs. The OGS program is dedicated to supporting international students in their cultural transition and academic success.
In the fall semester, incoming international students and transfer students who sign up for the program will be matched with a peer mentor. The mentor will reach out first over email and introduce themselves and set up the first meeting. Mentees might consider discussing with their mentors:
- How to access resources on campus
- How to join a club and get involved on campus
- Suggestions for college-level study skills
- How to use public transportation in Boston
- Any questions about American culture
- Feelings of homesickness or confusion
REQUEST A MENTOR
Information about how to request a mentor will be available soon! If you have any questions about campus life as an international student, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
BECOME A MENTOR
Applications for the Fall 2019 semester are now closed. Please consider applying during our next cycle for the Spring 2020 semester! If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com
Expectations of a mentor include:
- Completing the brief training course before being matched with up to 10 mentees
- Meeting with assigned mentees at least once per month throughout the fall semester
- Adherence to the mentor code of ethics
Desired qualities include:
- High communication skills
- Cross-cultural sensitivity
- Excellence in customer service
- Professionalism, including punctuality and follow-through
- Interest in creating an inclusive community at Northeastern
Some benefits of becoming an International Peer Mentor include:
- Meeting students from around the world
- Practicing intercultural competence and citizen diplomacy
- Professional development and opportunity to demonstrate and grow in leadership capabilities
- Ability to help shape international student services by providing feedback on the experience of your mentees
- Letter of Reference and Certificate of Completion for those who complete all responsibilities
Mentors are not responsible for and should not provide any immigration or visa-related advice or information. Please direct student questions to firstname.lastname@example.org or to Walk-In hours at the Office of Global Services.