ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The mission of the Office of Global Services’ Global Student Mentor Program is to support incoming international students as they transition to college life at Northeastern and to the culture of the United States, to foster engagement with the Northeastern community, and to improve resource utilization.
A peer mentor is a current student who spends time with new students to help them adjust to college life. Both international and domestic students can apply to be peer mentors. The students who receive mentorship are called “mentees.”
Participating new students will be matched with an OGS Global Student Mentor. The mentor will reach out first over email and introduce themselves and set up the first meeting. Throughout the semester, mentees will connect with their mentor in person through one-on-one meetings and group gatherings. These meetings take place in-person and at least once per month. Mentees can ask questions and receive advice from the perspective of an experienced Northeastern student. Your mentor will help you to set goals for your experience at Northeastern. Mentees might consider discussing with their mentors:
- How to access resources on campus
- How to join a club or get involved with the campus community
- Suggestions for developing college-level study skills
- How to use public transportation in Boston
- Questions about American culture
- Feelings of homesickness
It is important that mentees make the same level of commitment as their mentor. This includes being responsive to your mentor and making time in your schedule for regular meetings throughout the whole semester.
Northeastern has many different mentorship programs, so please review other options to find which program best supports your interest and needs. The OGS program is dedicated to supporting international students in their cultural transition and academic success. Therefore, we cannot guarantee that your mentor will be a student in your same academic program. If you are interested in peer support specific to your academic program, please consult with your academic advisor to see what may be available. Additionally, this program is not for the purpose of networking (though successful mentoring relationships may expand your professional network.)
REQUEST A MENTOR
Interested in participating? Before you sign up, check that you:
- Understand the program mission
- Want to commit to regular meetings throughout the semester
Sign-ups for the Fall 2020 semester will be available SOON on our online mentorship platform, called Chronus.
If you have any questions, please contact [email protected].
BECOME A MENTOR
Applications for the Fall 2020 semester are now open! Please click here to access the application form.
Expectations of a mentor include:
- Completing the brief training course before being matched with up to 10 mentees
- Meeting with assigned mentees at least once per month throughout the fall semester
- Adherence to the mentor code of ethics
Desired qualities include:
- High communication skills
- Cross-cultural sensitivity
- Excellence in customer service
- Professionalism, including punctuality and follow-through
- Interest in creating an inclusive community at Northeastern
Some benefits of becoming a Global Student Mentor include:
- Meeting students from around the world
- Practicing intercultural competence and citizen diplomacy
- Professional development and opportunity to demonstrate and grow in leadership capabilities
- Ability to help shape international student services by providing feedback on the experience of your mentees
- Letter of Reference and Certificate of Completion for those who complete all responsibilities
Mentors are not responsible for and should not provide any immigration or visa-related advice or information. Please direct student questions to [email protected]