NU Canadian Campuses

Northeastern University is committed to sharing with our students the most up-to-date information possible regarding study permits and ongoing travel restrictions. Please know that we will work diligently to provide comprehensive advice, process all requests, and advocate for the needs of our students.

Latest Updates

January 3, 2023

Government of Canada announces a temporary negative COVID-19 test requirement for travellers arriving from the People’s Republic of China, Hong Kong or Macao 

As of 12:01 a.m. EST on January 5, all air travellers who are two years of age and older, arriving on flights originating from the People’s Republic of China, Hong Kong or Macao, will need to provide evidence of a negative COVID-19 test result, taken no more than two days before their departure, to the airline prior to boarding.  

  • The test could be either a negative molecular (such as a PCR test), or a negative antigen test that has documentation to show that it has been monitored by a telehealth service or an accredited laboratory or testing provider.  
  • Passengers who tested positive more than 10 days before their departure flight, but no more than 90 days, can provide the airline with documentation of their prior positive test result, in place of a negative test result. 

These planned health measures will apply to air travellers, regardless of nationality and vaccination status. They are temporary measures, in place for 30 days, that will be reassessed as more data and evidence becomes available. 

When arriving in Canada, travelers will also be asked if they have traveled to China, Hong Kong, or Macao in the past 10 days, and if so, will be provided with additional public health information on COVID-19 transmission, personal protective measures, and what to do if they develop symptoms. This information will be provided by the Canada Border Services Agency and applies only to air travelers, not those arriving by land. 

If travellers become sick while travelling, and are still sick when they arrive in Canada, they should inform a flight attendant or a border services officer upon arrival. 

For more information, please visit: 

For new international students who plan to arrive in Canada after January 5th, please inform [email protected] if your travel plan has been affected by the new temporary measure.  

For returning students, if you are not able to return as planned, please contact your academic advisor to work out a plan.  

Previous Updates:

October 2022

Announcement: Temporary Lifting of Off Campus Work 20-Hour Restriction 

On October 7, 2022, Immigration, Citizenship and Refugees Canada announced there will be a temporary lift of the 20-hour restriction regarding off campus work for students who are currently inside Canada on a valid study permit, during the period of November 15, 2022 – December 31, 2023. 

Also included in this exception are some students who are currently overseas with a study permit in process, and who are eventually approved to receive a study permit. 

Please note that there is no other change to the policy regarding off campus work and the following restrictions remain in place: 

  • Students must continue to meet all other requirements of their study permit and the requirements to be permitted to engage in off campus work, including being enrolled and actively engaged in full time studies, 
  • Students may not work if they are on an unscheduled leave from their program, 
  • Study permit holders are still expected to balance their study and work commitments, as those who stop studying or reduce course loads to only study part-time are not eligible to work on or off-campus. 

Please note that completing any work that is part of your academic program, such as an approved Co-op work experience, still requires a valid Co-op Work Permit.  

While this new announcement by IRCC will provide some additional flexibility in work options for international students, we remind students that obtaining a Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) requires students to successfully complete their program on a full-time basis, with no unscheduled breaks. Please refer to the IRCC requirements to qualify for a PGWP: 

OGS Canada hosts webinars and information sessions each term to ensure students understand the requirements to maintain their status as a student in Canada, including work options available to full time international students. Please make sure to attend these webinars and information sessions to be sure you are up to date and understand your legal obligations and restrictions.

Previous Updates:

August 2022 – IRCC announced and extension to distance learning measures until August 31st, 2023, for students who are waiting for their study permit approval to come to Canada.


If you have been approved a study permit and a TRV/eTA, you are expected to arrive by the first day of class.

College  First day of Winter/Spring 2023 
College of Professional Studies (CPS) Jan. 9th, 2023
College of Engineering (COE) Jan. 9th, 2023
Khoury College (Khoury) Jan. 9th, 2023
College of Science (COS) Jan. 9th, 2023


We understand that some students may experience delays in their study permit processing. Each college has its own policies regarding late arrivals and deferrals, so please make sure you are aware of the correct information below for your program.

Please note that NOT ALL students may start their studies online. Please watch your inbox for messages from your College or OGS Canada that related to your specific options.

You are responsible for all course materials and lectures from the first day of classes. If you cannot arrive by the first day of classes, please contact your Academic Advisor.

College  Late Arrival Policy  If you still cannot join, please contact the admissions team to request a deferral. Deadlines may vary. 
CPS January 23, 2023
COE January 23, 2023 [email protected]
Khoury January 30, 2023 [email protected]
COS No late arrivals [email protected]
CAMD September 20th, 2022 Graduate Enrollment Manager: Cathy Bright

[email protected]


If you do not have a study permit approved by the relevant deferral deadline, and you are not eligible for remote learning, you are advised to defer to a later intake.

Please see the flowcharts below to understand the process:

Scenario 1: Study Permit Approval 

Scenario 2: Study Permit Pending

Scenario 3: Study Permit Not Submitted

Important Note:

  • Students are expected to study from the first day of the Fall 2022 academic term despite whether they will study on the ground or remotely. If Students are not able to attend classes from the first day, please contact the appropriate academic advisors.
  • The COVID situation in Canada is still evolving, and the options presented to Northeastern University’s Canadian Campus students regarding arrival and study may be affected by future travel restrictions put in place by the Government of Canada. Students are advised to closely monitor the Office of Global Services – Canada page for up-to-date information on restrictions, guidance, and policy updates.


Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I submitted my study permit application in Fall 2022 and I am still waiting for my study permit approval.  When can I expect that approval?

Please see here for the processing time posted by IRCC.

Q: Do I need to do a Covid test prior to traveling?  

For up to date travel requirements by the Canadian Government, please refer to this information:

Q: What is the refund policy, if I start my study online with a pending study permit application in the Winter/Spring and my study permit is refused later?

If you are informed by the college admissions team that you are eligible to start your program remotely and you decide to start the program online with a pending study permit application, you may be eligible for a full tuition refund if:

  • You applied for your study permit by November 25, 2022, and that application is still pending at the start of classes in January, and
  • You stop studying immediately when you receive the study permit refusal, and
  • You inform your academic advisor of your withdrawal request, and
  • You email a copy of your refusal letter to [email protected]

Once your withdrawal request is approved by the academic advisor and your document is reviewed by OGS Canada, you may email [email protected] to follow up with the refund process.

If you do not meet the conditions described above, for example, you choose to continue studying after receiving a refusal, your refund will be issued in accordance with the policies of your college. Please see this link for more information:

Q: I am a returning student. When shall I travel back to Canada after spending my scheduled break overseas?

You may enter any time before your next term starts if you meet the travel requirements. If you cannot arrive back for the start of classes, please contact your Academic Advisor. If you are going to miss more than one or two classes, you may need to take a leave from your program as these are graduate programs and require attendance in all classes.

Q: If I started studying online in a previous term, will my PGWP (Post Graduation Work Permit) eligibility be affected?

IRCC has made temporary policy changes to better accommodate eligible international students to benefit from the post-graduation work permit program. Please make sure to read the information on the IRCC website for updated information.

From March 20th, 2020 to August 31st, 2022, if:

  • You start your study online outside of Canada, and
  • You submitted a study permit application prior to beginning your program, and the application is eventually approved.

The online courses you take outside of Canada will be counted towards the PGWP.

From September 1st, 2022 – August 31st, 2022, if:

  •  You start a program of study between September 1, 2022, and August 31, 2023, you are required to complete at least 50% of their program (or programs) of study in Canada.
  • Up until August 31, 2023, time spent studying outside of Canada will be counted toward the overall length of the PGWP only if it constitutes less than 50% of the program.

For more information, please refer to the IRCC webpage regarding this reduced facilitation measure.

Q:  What do I need to bring with me when I travel to Canada?

Please see this page for a list of documents that you need to bring with you to Canada.

Please follow the instructions on the Travelling to Canada page, and check the IRCC website for more information.

Q: Do I have the option to prepay the first-year tuition fees to support my Study Permit/Visa application if I am NOT from an SDS country?

Only SDS eligible students will be issued with a first year tuition fee invoice. If you are not SDS eligible, and you receive a specific request from IRCC asking for proof of payment of tuition after submitting your application, please email [email protected] for further instructions.

Q: Can my family travel with me? 

If your accompanying family member has the required travel documents to enter Canada, they may be able to travel with you. Please see this link for more information:

Q: If my previous study permit application was refused, and I have submitted another application before November 25, 2022, do you suggest I start remote learning while waiting for the second/third study permit application result?

We do not recommend students with previous study permit refusals to start remote learning before their new applications are approved. The processing time is usually longer and refusals may happen again if the applicants fail to address the IRCC officers’ specific concerns.  Students are advised to defer to the next available term and join the program until their study permit application is approved.


Contact Information:

If your questions on traveling, study permit/TRV/e-TA applications, are not answered in the above, or online with our FAQ, you may email [email protected]. Please note that this email is experiencing an extremely high volume of emails, so please be patient. Make sure you include your full name and student ID in the message, and please do not send it to multiple recipients, as this will slow down our ability to respond to your request.

For questions related to your course registration, or to communicate your study plans, please contact your Academic Advisors as follows:

College of Computer Science Khoury: [email protected]

College of Engineering (COE): [email protected]

College of Professional Studies (CPS): [email protected]

College of Science (COS): [email protected]

College of Arts, Media, and Design (CAMD) [email protected]