J-1 student interns are defined as students currently enrolled and pursuing a degree in accredited post-secondary academic institutions outside the U.S.

They must be participating in an internship program in the U.S. that will fulfill the educational objectives of their current degree programs at their home institutions, and they must return to their home institutions upon completion of the internship. They must verify that they have English language skills sufficient to function on a day-to-day basis in the internship environment. They may participate in student internship programs for up to 12 months for each degree program using the J-1 visa. They must comply with the requirement of having health insurance while participating in the J program.

J-1 student interns cannot participate in any clinical care positions or any other position that involves patient contact. Any work that would require them to provide therapy, medication, or other clinical or medical treatment is prohibited (e.g. sport or physical therapy, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, psychological counseling, social work, speech therapy, or early childhood education).

Applying for your J-1 visa

A nonimmigrant visa is the proof of assessment conducted by the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate that certifies a person may seek admission to the U.S. for a specific purpose. Therefore, you will need to submit certain documents at the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate to explain the purpose of your visit to the U.S. Your Certificate of Eligibility (DS-2019) and your Training/Internship Placement Plan (DS-7002) are both necessary to obtain a J-1 student intern visa to come to Northeastern University.

Make sure you do not enter the U.S. in a visitor status (B-1, B-2, WT, or WB). If you enter the U.S. on the Visa Waiver Program, you will be required to leave the U.S. in order to re-enter on the proper visa.

Next steps

After you have received your DS-2019 and DS-7002 from Northeastern, you are encouraged to apply for a visa as soon as possible to ensure ample time for visa processing. Generally embassies or consulates ask for the following documentation:

  • Certificate of Eligibility for nonimmigrant visa (DS-2019) issued by Northeastern University. Your assigned Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) identification is in the upper right corner of page 1. Check to see that all information is correct. Read the regulations on page 2 and then sign and date at the bottom of page 1 BEFORE your visa appointment.
  • Training/Internship Placement Plan (DS-7002) issued by Northeastern University. Please read this over thoroughly to understand what the details of your internship will be. Sign and date page 1 BEFORE your visa appointment.
  • Valid passport. Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months after your proposed date of entry in the U.S.
  • Financial evidence that shows you have sufficient funds to cover living expenses during the period you intend to study. The yearly requirement for Northeastern is $28,000. You will need to bring documentation for all sources of funding listed on your DS-2019 (e.g. offer letter, personal funds, family funds etc.)
  • Proof of SEVIS I-901 fee payment
  • Offer letter from Northeastern
  • Complete the Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application Form (DS-160)
  • One photograph: See here for more information
  • Visa application fee: Check with your embassy or consulate for their information (this is different from the SEVIS fee)

Each embassy or consulate may have different rules about what documentation is needed or what procedures must be followed when applying for a visa. For this reason, you will need to check with the specific embassy or consulate you will be applying at to see what steps you must take. To find an embassy or consulate near you, please click here.

Once you have received your visa, you may enter the U.S. up to 30 days before the program start date listed on your DS-2019.