J-1 student interns
They are defined as students currently enrolled and pursuing a degree in accredited post-secondary academic institutions outside the U.S. meeting the following requirements:
- must be participating in an internship program in the U.S. that will fulfill the educational objectives of their current degree programs at their home institutions
- must return to their home institutions upon completion of the internship
- must verify that they have English language skills sufficient to function on a day-to-day basis in the internship environment
- may participate in student internship programs for up to 12 months for each degree program using the J-1 visa
- must comply with the requirement of having health insurance while participating in the J program.
- J-1 student interns cannot participate in any clinical care positions or any other position that involves patient contact. Any work that would require them to provide therapy, medication, or other clinical or medical treatment is prohibited (e.g. sport or physical therapy, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, psychological counseling, social work, speech therapy, or early childhood education).
Requesting your DS-2019 and DS-7002
In order to get your visa and to enter the U.S., you will need to apply with Northeastern for a DS-2019 and DS-7002.
DS-2019 – This form is also called the “Certificate of Eligibility” and is used for all exchange visitors in the J visa category. This form provides information about your purpose and nature of activity in the U.S. (including: University Name, start date, end date, category of visa etc.).
DS-7002 – This form is also called the “Training/Internship Placement Plan” or T/IPP for short. This form provides very specific information about the nature of your student-internship in the U.S. and will also be needed when you apply for your visa.
How to request DS-2019 and DS-7002
1 Supervisor completes Site of Activity form with the Office of Global Services.
2 Supervisor completes English Language Verification form with the Office of Global Services.
3 Supervisor emails student intern with link to the Office of Global Services form.
4 Student intern completes J-1 Health Insurance Requirement form with the Office of Global Services.
5 Student intern completes Student Intern Personal Information form with the Office of Global Services.
6 Student intern receives DS-2019 and DS-7002 in the mail.