Learn what international students must do to regain their F-1 status through readmission to the USA.

When you fall “out of compliance/status,” it is important to know how you can get reinstated.

In general, F-1 and J-1 students are required to maintain a full-time enrollment status even in their final academic term. Learn the exception.

While it is your responsibility to maintain your status, the Office of Global Services is here to help guide you through the complexities of the US government regulations and procedures.

Obtaining a J-1 international scholar sponsorship is a collaborative effort at Northeastern University—led by the Office of Global Services. See the steps below.

The Office of Global Services (OGS) works with J-1 student interns to provide the guidance and support they need in maintaining their status.

Maintaining your J-1 scholar status is critical to staying part of the Northeastern community. Below is a comprehensive list that covers topics ranging from the required authorizations you will need to obtaining incidental employment.

During your time at Northeastern University, it may become necessary to take a medical leave of absence. The instructions for taking and returning from a medical leave are described below.

During your time at Northeastern University, it may become necessary to take a non-medical leave of absence. Students who need a non-medical leave of absence, which includes any reason that is not medical, will need to apply to the Office of Global Services (OGS) as well as to their college/graduate school for this request.

This request is for an international student that requires additional time for the completion of his/her program of study

F-1 students who need a program extension must meet certain requirements, which are explained below.

F-1 and J-1 students must enroll in and maintain a full-time course load; however, federal regulations allow international students to reduce their course load in certain limited academic circumstances.

There are a number of ways an F-1 student may fall “out of compliance/status.” The Office of Global Services (OGS) works with international students to help them get back on track.

This form is to request assistance in fullinging your responsibilities if your are issued an I515a upon returning to he US.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) new policy directed to F, J or M visa holders. The policy guidance states that “unlawful presence” will begin accruing the day after a student violates his or her immigration status. This policy has severe consequences.