Leaving Northeastern

If you are an F-1 student who would like to transfer your Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) record from Northeastern University to another school, you must submit a transfer out request to the Office of Global Services so that we can release your SEVIS record to your new school.

In order to have your SEVIS record transferred to your new university, you must maintain your F-1 student status per the government’s federal regulations. You may request that our office transfer your SEVIS record prior to the end of your program or prior to your last attendance at Northeastern, but the transfer release date that you indicate should occur after you have completed studies or after your last date of attendance. NOTE: If you have already completed your program, you must be sure to request your transfer out within your 60-day grace period.

SEVIS transfer process

Steps to have your SEVIS record transferred to your new university

1 Submit the transfer out e-form to the Office of Global Services.

You will be required to upload the following documents to your e-form request:

  • New school’s official letter of admission
  • New school’s transfer in form (if applicable)

2 Wait for your transfer out request to be processed by an Office of Global Services advisor.

NOTE: Transfer out requests have a 10 business day processing time at the Office of Global Services, although we do work to complete requests as quickly as possible. Please be sure to submit all necessary materials to prevent delays in processing.

Important reminders

  1. In order to be eligible for a SEVIS transfer, you must maintain a valid F-1 student status. You must enroll in your new school for the next available program start date or no more than 5 months after your last date of enrollment at Northeastern or of the last date that you were employed on Post-Completion Optional Practical Training – whichever comes first.
  2. If you are planning to withdraw from your program at Northeastern University and you choose to transfer to another school in the USA and the Office of Global Services receives your transfer request prior to your withdrawal from the University, we may be able to transfer your SEVIS record to your new school. Please consult with the Office of Global Services regarding your eligibility to transfer out.
  3. If you plan to transfer out in the middle of the academic term, you must be enrolled as a full-time student up to the point of having your SEVIS record transferred out. Please consult with the Office of Global Services regarding your eligibility to transfer out.

Related Articles:

Completing Your Program (J-1 Scholar)

Completing your academic assignments as a J-1 scholar. Leaving the USA. Change of status. Find out how to handle these situations and a whole lot more.


The Office of Global Services is required to take action once we have been notified of your dismissal by your academic program at Northeastern University.

Withdrawal from the University

Learn what options are available to F-1 students that withdraw from Northeastern University.