Leaving Northeastern University
If you are an F-1 student who would like to transfer your Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) record from Northeastern University to another SEVP-certified institution, you must submit a transfer out request to OGS so that we can release your SEVIS record.
- In order to have your SEVIS record transferred to your new institution, you must continue to maintain your F-1 student status per federal regulations. You may request that our office transfer your SEVIS record prior to the end of your program at Northeastern, but the date that your new university receives your record should occur after you have completed your program or after your last date of attendance.
- Please Note: If you have already completed your program, you must be sure to request your transfer out within your 60-day grace period.
- In order to be eligible for a SEVIS transfer, you must maintain valid F-1 student status. You must enroll in your new institution for the next available program start date or no more than 5 months after either your last date of enrollment at Northeastern or of the last date that you were on Post-Completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) – whichever comes first.
- If you are planning to withdraw from your program at Northeastern University and you choose to transfer to another school in the U.S., OGS must receive your transfer request prior to your withdrawal from the University. We will review your record to determine if you are eligible for a transfer out.
- If you plan to transfer out in the middle of an academic term, you must be enrolled as a full-time student until your SEVIS record is transferred out.
SEVIS transfer process
Steps to have your SEVIS record transferred to your new institution:
1 Submit the transfer out e-form to the Office of Global Services.
You will be required to upload the following documents with your e-form request:
- New institution’s acceptance letter with a program start date
- New institution’s transfer in form (if applicable)
2 Wait for your transfer out request to be processed by an OGS advisor.
Please Note: Transfer out requests have a 10 business day processing time at OGS, although we work to complete requests as quickly as possible. Please be sure to submit all required documents to prevent delays in processing.