What you will need

You must have a “Letter of Enrollment” from the Global Experience Office or from the academic department at Northeastern University that is sponsoring the study abroad which confirms the following:

  1. Exact dates of study abroad.
  2. Location (institution, city, country) of study abroad.

After you obtain the letter, please go to Request for SEVIS I-20/DS-2019.

Please note:

  • A letter from your host institution abroad or other agency/company will not be acceptable
  • If you study abroad only during the summer term, you do not need to request a study abroad I-20

Related Articles:

International Travel

Before traveling abroad, international students need to make sure they have the proper documentation to re-enter the U.S. which includes a valid travel signature.

Working Outside of the U.S.

Want to work outside the U.S.? Do you have an opportunity to participate in an international co-op? International students need to get an approval from the Office of Global Services (OGS). OGS also provides some helpful tips on traveling abroad and re-entering the U.S.

Renewing your Visa

Depending on the length of your program and duration of your visa, your visa may expire during your program at Northeastern University. If your visa expires, you will need to renew it before you re-enter the U.S. after traveling abroad.