How students fall out of compliance

An F-1 student may fall “out of compliance/status” for a violation of federal government regulations on F1 holders.

There are many reasons why a student may fall out of status/compliance, including but not limited to:

  • Letting the program end date on the I-20 expire without requesting a program extension in a timely manner
  • Taking too many online courses and not enough on-ground courses
  • Working without authorization
  • Taking a leave from school without permission from his or her college and OGS
  • Not making continuous progress towards the completion of their program

The Office of Global Services must terminate the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) record of a student who is “out of compliance/status” in order to comply with Federal government regulations.

OGS advisors will work with students to attempt to remedy the violation.  Please schedule an appointment with an advisor at the Office of Global Services (OGS) by calling 617-373-2310 or by visiting our front desk at 405 Ell Hall.

Two ways to regain status

In order to resume studies in proper F-1 status, a student must seek to regain status in one of the following ways:

  • Readmission: Depart the U.S. and regain status through readmission to the U.S. with a new initial I-20
  • Reinstatement: If eligible, seek reinstatement while remaining in the U.S. by filing an application for reinstatement with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

To learn about both these options, please contact OGS for an appointment.

If you wish to consult with an attorney, please see Immigration Attorneys and Pro-Bono Legal Services for information.

Related Articles:

F-1 Reinstatement

When you fall “out of compliance/status,” it is important to know how you can get reinstated.

F-1 Readmission

Learn what international students must do to regain their F-1 status through readmission to the USA.