- Submit the completed program extension request to the Office of Global Services (OGS) prior to the program end date on your most recent I-20 or DS-2019
- Currently be maintaining a valid F-1 or J-1 status
- Have a compelling academic or medical reason that is cause for the delay in completion of the program, below are the government approved reasons:
- Change of major
- Thesis/Dissertation Continuation
- Medical – A Medical Leave must have been granted by the University Health & Counseling Services (UHCS)
- Resolve any financial holds on your myNortheastern account before submitting the program extension request to OGS
How to request a program extension
If you are unable to complete your program of study before the program end date on your I-20 or DS-2019, you must apply to OGS for a program extension at least 30 days before the program end date on your I-20 or DS-2019.
Please complete and submit the Program Extension Request.