Graduate Research Abroad Process

In order to be approved by OGS for research abroad, you must maintain your full-time registration status at Northeastern University. Additionally, your overseas research project must be required to complete your degree.

What you will need in order to be authorized by OGS:

  1. Graduate Research Abroad Form, signed by your academic advisor and SEVIS contact.
  2. Passport ID page
  3. Most recent I-94 record
  4. F-1/J-1 visa (if applicable)

Once you have compiled these documents, please complete this e-form.

Please note:

  • A letter from the institution where you are doing your research will not be acceptable
  • You will need a new graduate research abroad I-20 with appropriate remark
  • Full-time registration status must be maintained while abroad (see your academic advisor for registration information)

Related Articles:

International Travel

Before traveling abroad, international students need to make sure they have the proper documentation to re-enter the U.S. which includes a valid travel signature.

Renewing your Visa

Depending on the length of your program and duration of your visa, your visa may expire during your program at Northeastern University. If your visa expires, you will need to renew it before you re-enter the U.S. after traveling abroad.