A student must leave the USA immediately or as soon as possible after termination of the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) record and will need to regain F-1 status through readmission to the USA. A new initial I-20 will be issued by the Office of Global Services for this purpose once the I-20 is requested, evidence of sufficient financial support is provided, confirmation is recieved that the student is allowed to continue in her/his program, and the expected date of program completion are provided to the Office of Global Services by the student. The student will leave the USA, obtain a new visa from a USA Embassy or USA Consulate in their home country if needed, pay the SEVIS fee again, and re-enter the USA for the next available term (or for the current term if the student is presently enrolled) to be decided in advance of the student’s departure.

Visa validity

If you regain status through travel, you may or may not need to apply for a new F-1 visa even if the current F-1 visa is valid and bears “Northeastern University” as the school of attendance. To determine whether you need a new visa or not, you should ask the USA Embassy or USA Consulate closest to you. If your current visa is expired OR is valid but indicates the name of another university, you will need a new visa.

Post-Optional Practical Training/Curricular Practical Training Eligibility

It is important to remember that any student seeking to regain F-1 student status by readmission may lose eligibility to apply for Post-Completion Optional Practical Training and Curricular Practical Training. Students who enter the USA on a new initial I-20 must accrue a full academic year (two semesters or three quarters) before they can engage in Curricular Practical Training or Optional Practical Training.

Readmission process

1 Be sure that your passport and F-1 visa are still valid for travel and re-entry.

3 Prepare your financial support documentation.

4 Fill out the “I-20 request for reinstatement/readmission form" using one of these links:

5 After you receive the new I-20, pay the SEVIS fee.

You make the payment by visiting the I-901 SEVIS fee website by clicking here.


6 Depart and re-enter the USA in order to regain F-1 status through readmissions.

  • You may enter up to 30 days before the start date indicated on the new initial I-20
  • Immediately after arrival at the university, complete the Office of Global Services check-in process (you will receive the instructions via email)
  • Failure to complete the Office of Global Services check-in process in a timely manner may result in cancellation of your SEVIS record
  • Immediately register for a full course load
  • Check in with your academic advisor to make sure you are taking the appropriate number of courses

7 Eligibility for seeking reinstatement within the USA.

If you have not violated any of the following criteria, you may be able to remain in the USA and apply for reinstatement to F-1 student status:

  • You have not been “out of compliance/status” for more than 5 months
  • You do not have a record of willful or repeated violations
  • You are enrolled in or have intentions of pursuing a full course load (you have not been dismissed from your program or have completed your program)
  • You have not engaged in unauthorized employment
  • To the best of your knowledge, you are not removable by the USA Citizenship and Immigration Services on other grounds (for example, previous violations at other schools)

Related Articles:

Unlawful Presence

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) new policy directed to F, J or M visas. The policy guidance holds that unlawful presence will begin accruing the day after a student stops pursuing a course of study or otherwise violates his or her immigration status.

Completing Your Program (J-1 Scholar)

Completing your academic assignments as a J-1 scholar. Leaving the USA. Change of status. Find out how to handle these situations and a whole lot more.


The Office of Global Services is required to take action once we have been notified of your dismissal by your academic program at Northeastern University.