F-1 student visa

The F-1 visa is the most common type of student visa used to study in the USA. The F-1 visa is intended for a full-time academic or language students wishing to pursue a degree or certificate for a period of time in the USA.

F-2 dependent of F-1

The F-2 visa status is intended for the spouse and/or children (under age 21) of an F-1 student. Please note that a person on an F-2 status cannot work or study full-time.

J-1 student visa

An exchange visitor (J) is a non-immigrant visa category for individuals that have been approved to participate in the USA exchange visitor programs. In order to be eligible for a J-1, at least half of the student’s funding must come from a source other than personal or family funds.

J-1 scholar visa

The J-1 visa allows academic institutions and other educational exchange programs to sponsor international researchers to participate in educational and cultural programs in the USA.

J-1 student intern visa

These are students participating in an internship program in the USA that will fulfill the objectives of their current degree program at an institution in their home country. Students must be enrolled and actively pursuing a degree in an academic institution outside the USA.

J-2 dependent of a J-1

The J-2 visa status is intended for the spouse and/or children (under age 21) of a J-1 visa holder.

Additional visa types

There are a variety of visa types other than F or J that can help students study full-time or part-time in the USA. Please consult with an Office of Global Services pre-arrival advisor if you have questions about this.