Helping students engage with the world
The N.U.in program is an experiential, academic program that expands students’ Northeastern education into worldwide locations. International students can be selected to participate in N.U.in. Because the first semester is outside of the USA, international students must read all the information to understand how this will impact their arrival to the USA when coming to the Boston campus.
What type of I-20 should you request?
New international students who will be attending the N.U.in program for Fall semester in their specific site location (outside of the USA), should request a new initial I-20 for the upcoming Spring term. They will start the USA portion of their degree program in Boston in January. The I-20 form will be issued for a January start.
I-20 form for spring semester
The I-20 form is a visa eligibility document issued by Northeastern University to certify that an eligible international student has met admission requirements for a full-time program of study and has demonstrated sufficient financial support for his/her studies in the USA. This visa eligibility document is needed to apply for a nonimmigrant student visa at a USA Embassy or USA Consulate in order to obtain F-1 status within the USA.
NOTE: The I-20 lists your January program start date, which is 30 days before you are allowed to enter the USA as an F-1 student. Please remember that F-1 student visas can be issued up to 120 days in advance of your program start date in January.
Applying for the spring semester
You can submit an initial I-20 request only after you have been admitted to a program at Northeastern University. You will also need to be sure to confirm other requirements needed by the admissions office before your I-20 request submission. At that time, you will then be able to submit an electronic I-20 request through myOGS. The Office of Global Services encourages you to submit your initial I-20 request as soon as possible to provide ample time for the issuance of the I-20 and your F-1 visa application process prior to your enrollment.
How to prepare and submit an online request
1 Required documents (must be in digital format of PDF or JPEG):
- Color copy of the identity page of your valid passport
- Financial documents meeting your program’s expenses:
- To access the estimated expenses for the Northeastern college of your program, please see “New Student I-20 Request Forms” under the Forms & Guides page
- Currency conversion:
- If you are submitting financial documents that are not in USA Dollars, please provide a currency conversion from a currency conversion calculator and upload it to the e-form.
- Sponsor letter or affidavit of support (only required when your sponsor is a non-blood relative)
2 Accessing the I-20 request e-form.
- Please see “New Student I-20 Request Forms” under the Forms & Guides page for the e-form to select your Northeastern college
- You will be prompted to enter your myNortheastern username and password login. The myOGS I-20 request e-form will respond to your individual situation and guide you through the process. (Contact the Office of Global Services with any questions)