Key Resources

Affidavit of Support Sample »

This is a sample letter for F-1 and J-1 supporters, showing that they are providing monetary support to students.

Required financial documents

Please show all sources of your financial support and ensure that the sum equals or exceeds the estimated expenses for yourself and any dependents.

All financial documentation must be in English (or certified English translations must be included) and must be issued within 9 months of your program start date.

Financial sources must be readily available liquid assets, such as:

  • Checking or savings accounts
  • Money market accounts
  • Certificates/term deposits/fixed deposits (with maturity dates no later than the program start date or stating that funds can be withdrawn at anytime)
  • Educational loans (a loan application is not sufficient)
  • Benevolent account
  • Current account
  • Post office accounts
  • University scholarships

The following are examples of sources that are NOT acceptable:

  • Investment portfolios (Examples: stocks, bonds, mutual funds)
  • Retirement plans
  • Public provident funds
  • Available lines of credit
  • Wire transfers
  • Deeds to real estate
  • Leases with rental income
  • Salary agreements or paystubs
  • Material items (examples: livestock, land, jewelry, fur)
  • Income tax forms

Related Articles:

Applying for Your Initial I-20 (F-1)

All admitted students who will be studying with an F-1 visa need an I-20 form in order to move forward with the visa process.

Applying for Your Transfer I-20 (F-1)

The Office of Global Services (OGS) can help students in F-1 visa status transfer their Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) record from their current U.S. institution to Northeastern University.

Applying for Your I-20 (F-1)

With Northeastern’s program and help from the Office of Global Services, new international students are going farther in life—literally. The Office of Global Services staff works closely with international students to help them apply for the I-20 form and answer any questions throughout the process and beyond.

Change of Status I-20

There are two options to change to change to a F-1, F-2, J-1 or J-2 non-immigrant status if you are currently in the U.S. on a different non-immigrant status. Learn what those two options are and which one is better for you.