Transferring Your Record
It is important that you work with the Designated School Official (DSO) at your current school’s international student office on the specific process and required documentation needed to complete your transfer out request. As your current school holds your SEVIS record, you must first start the transfer process there.
After completion of the transfer out process, your current institution will set a transfer release date for your SEVIS record. This is the date that your record will be transferred to Northeastern University. In general, your transfer release date has to be within 60 days from your program completion.
Please be sure to confirm with your current school that your record will be transferred to the correct campus at Northeastern. Campus locations include Boston, Seattle, Silicon Valley, San Francisco, and Charlotte.
Your I-20 form from Northeastern cannot be issued until you complete the required steps of requesting a Transfer I-20 with OGS. In addition, your I-20 cannot be issued until your SEVIS record has been released by your transfer out school to Northeastern.
Applying for the Transfer I-20
You can submit a Transfer I-20 request only after you have been officially admitted to a full-time program of study. At that time, you will then be able to submit an electronic I-20 request through myOGS. OGS encourages you to submit your Transfer I-20 request as soon as possible to provide ample time for the issuance of the I-20 prior to your enrollment.
Submitting the Transfer I-20 request
How to prepare for, access, and submit the online Transfer I-20 request:
1 Required documents for the I-20 request e-form. They must be in digital format of PDF or JPEG:
- Color copy of the identity page of your valid passport
- Financial documents meeting your program’s expenses
- To access the estimated expenses for the Northeastern college of your program, please see “New Student I-20 Request Forms” under the Forms & Guides page and access the appropriate e-form
- Currency conversion
- If you are submitting financial documents that are not in U.S. Dollars, please provide a currency conversion from a currency conversion calculator and upload it to the e-form.
- Sponsor letter or affidavit of support (only required when your sponsor is a non-blood relative)
- Transfer in verification form
- This form is required and must be completed by the DSO at the transfer out school and by the student
2 Accessing the I-20 request e-form.
- Please see “New Student I-20 Request Forms” under the Forms & Guides page for the e-form.
- You will be prompted to enter your myNortheastern username and password login. The myOGS I-20 request e-form will respond to your individual situation and guide you through the process. (Contact OGS with any questions)