Transferring Your Record
It is important that you work with the Designated School Official at your current school’s international student office on the specific process and required documentation needed to complete your transfer out request. As your current school holds your Student and Exchange Visitor Information System record, you must first start the transfer process there.
After completion of the transfer out process, your current institution’s Designated School Official will set a transfer release date for your Student and Exchange Visitor Information System record. This is the date from which the Designated School Official at your transfer out school deactivates your Student and Exchange Visitor Information System record from that school and then transfers your Student and Exchange Visitor Information System record to Northeastern University, the transfer in school. Please be sure to confirm with your Designated School Official at your current school that your Student and Exchange Visitor Information System record has been transferred to the correct campus that you have been admitted to at Northeastern. Campus locations include Boston, Seattle, Silicon Valley, and Charlotte.
Your I-20 form from Northeastern cannot be issued until you complete the required steps of requesting a Transfer I-20 with the Office of Global Services. In addition, your I-20 cannot be issued until your Student and Exchange Visitor Information System record has been released by your transfer out school to Northeastern.
Applying for the Transfer I-20
You can submit a Transfer I-20 request only after you have been officially admitted to a full-time program of study. You will also need to be sure to confirm other requirements needed by the admissions office before your I-20 request submission. At that time, you will then be able to submit an electronic I-20 request through myOGS. The Office of Global Services encourages you to submit your Transfer I-20 request as soon as possible to provide ample time for the issuance of the I-20 prior to your enrollment.
Submitting the Transfer I-20 request
How to prepare for, access, and submit the online Transfer I-20 request:
1 Required documents (must be in digital format of PDF or JPEG):
- Color copy of the identity page of your passport
- Financial documents meeting your program’s expenses:
- To access the estimated expenses for the Northeastern college of your program, please see “New Student I-20 Request Forms” under the Forms & Guides page
- Currency conversion:
- If you are submitting financial documents that are not in USA Dollars, please provide a currency conversion using a currency conversion calculator and upload it to the e-form.
- Sponsor letter or affidavit of support
- Only required when your sponsor is a non-blood relative
- Transfer in verification form:
- This form is required and must be completed by the International Student Advisor at the transfer out school and by the student
- To access this form, please see “New Student Forms” under the Forms & Guides page
2 Accessing the I-20 request e-form.
- Please see the appropriate “New Student I-20 Request Forms” under the Forms & Guides page for the e-form for the Northeastern college of your admitted program
- You will be prompted to enter your myNortheastern username and password login. The myOGS I-20 request e-form will respond to your individual situation and guide you through the process. (Contact the Office of Global Services with any questions)