Traveling and Travel Signatures

J-1 Scholars and their dependents must have a valid travel signature on their DS-2019 prior to traveling outside the United States. Initial travel signatures are provided at J-1 Scholar Orientation when the J-1 Scholar first reports to the Office of Global Services (OGS). This signature is valid for one year or program duration of the DS-2019, whichever is earlier.

If you travel outside the U.S., you will need:

  • Passport valid for at least six months into the future from the return date
  • J-1 visa valid past the return date
  • DS-2019 with a valid travel signature. If you need a new travel signature, please submit the J-1 Scholar Travel Signature Request Form, along with your most recent DS-2019, to OGS. Please allow five business days for travel signature processing.

The same documents are required for traveling dependents.

Automatic Revalidation

If you travel to Canada, Mexico, or certain Caribbean islands for less than 30 days, you may be eligible to re-enter the U.S. with an expired J-1 visa. Please refer to the Department of State website for more details prior to traveling.

If you travel within the U.S., you should carry your passport, I-94, and DS-2019.

Related Articles:

International Travel

Before traveling abroad, international students need to make sure they have the proper documentation to re-enter the U.S. which includes a valid travel signature.

Renewing your Visa

Depending on the length of your program and duration of your visa, your visa may expire during your program at Northeastern University. If your visa expires, you will need to renew it before you re-enter the U.S. after traveling abroad.