Federal Health Insurance Requirements

J-1 Visiting Students are able to select an insurance policy that best fits their and their dependents’ needs. Federal regulations require all J-1 Visiting Students and J-2 dependents to obtain health insurance that meets the following requirements:

  • Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
  • In case of death, repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
  • Expenses in the amount of $50,000 associated with the medical evacuation of the J Exchange Visitor to his or her home country
  • A deductible amount not to exceed $500 per accident or illness
  • Continuous coverage for the duration of the program

If you purchased health insurance in your home country, please ensure that it covers all of the requirements listed above.

The Department of State requires the Office of Global Services (OGS) to confirm that all J-1 Visiting Students have health insurance that complies with the federal regulations. OGS reserves the right to request proof of health insurance at any time during the J-1 Visiting Student’s program.

Health Insurance Resources

The health insurance vendors below offer plans for international students and visitors. OGS is not affiliated with these companies and does not endorse any one specific provider.

Cultural Insurance Service International (CISI)
Compass Benefits Group


The Harbour Group, LLC

HCC Medical Insurance Services

Insurance Services of America (ISA)

International Student Protection (ISP)
Visitors Insurance

Below, please find additional health-related resources:

CVS Pharmacy
Health insurance terms

Hospitals in the greater Boston area
Navigating the U.S. Healthcare System (BBC article)
United Nations Handbook: Navigating the Health Care System in the USA