Key Resources

Travel Signature Request »

This is to request a travel endorsement on your I-20 or DS2019.

Travel Signature Request – Seattle »

This is to request a travel endorsement on your I-20 or DS2019 for Seattle campus students.

Travel Signature Request – Silicon Valley »

This is to request a travel endorsement on your I-20 or DS2019 for Silicon Valley

Work authorization requirements

Students physically working outside the USA do not require work authorization from the Office of Global Services. Authorization must be given for work that physically takes place within the USA.

NOTE: If you are returning to the USA while working abroad or on international co-op to perform work for a short period (such as a business trip or conference), this would require authorization. Please reach out to the Office of Global Services to inquire about this if you believe this is your situation.

Recommended travel documents

As always, when traveling abroad, it is important to make sure you are checking your I-20 before leaving the USA to see if you will need a new travel signature. Please fill out a Travel Signature Request Form or check our website for travel signature session times and dates.

While it is not required for students to bring any extra documentation, some students going on global co-op may want to bring a letter with them when re-entering the USA explaining why they have been outside of the country. Below is a sample letter you may modify and sign to bring with you. In addition, the Office of Global Services recommends you bring an official transcript to show your enrollment in classes while you are abroad.

Sample letter 


RE: FULL NAME (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System Identification #)

To whom it may concern:

This letter confirms that I, FIRST NAME, have been on approved and registered global co-op assignment from DATE to DATE at EMPLOYER NAME in CITYCOUNTRY. I have maintained full-time enrollment at Northeastern University during this period and am returning to the USA to continue my studies.