The following must be reported within 10 days of any changes. Updates should be submitted electronically via the Student and Exchange Visitor Program Portal and the Optional Practical Training Central:
- Address updates
- Employment updates (to be submitted only after Optional Practical Training Employment Authorization Document is received)
- Name of company
- Address of company – This is the address from where you are conducting your work
- Start and end dates with company
- Description of how work is related to your course of study/major
- Unemployment time
It is the student’s responsibility to provide employment information to the Office of Global Services or to Student and Exchange Visitor Information System via the Student and Exchange Visitor Program Portal. If no employment is provided within the first 90 days on the Employment Authorization Document card, the student’s Student and Exchange Visitor Information System record may be terminated automatically.
Additional information you must report
- A decision to discontinue Optional Practical Training and depart the USA—Submit the Request to Complete Optional Practical Training & Student and Exchange Visitor Information System Record along with a copy of a flight itinerary indicating you have/will depart the USA
- Change of status to a status other than an F-1
- A decision to begin a new program of study at Northeastern or transfer to another school in the USA
The 90 day unemployment rule
During the authorized Post-Optional Practical Training dates on your Employment Authorization Document card, you are allowed to be unemployed for up to 90 days. This 90 days is cumulative. If you exceed 90 days of unemployment, then you are considered out of status; there is no additional grace period after these 90 days. If employment is not updated to the Office of Global Services within 90 days of the start date on the Employment Authorization Document card, then your Student and Exchange Visitor Information System record may be automatically terminated. It is your responsibility to keep a personal record of all Optional Practical Training activity.
Invalidating your Optional Practical Training
Your Post-Optional Practical Training will be invalidated if you:
- Start a new program of study
- Transfer out to a new college or university
- Change your status
- Enter the USA using any visa status other than an F-1
- Violate your immigration status
Studying while on Optional Practical Training
This is only allowed for recreational and professional development purposes—enrolling in a degree program will invalidate your Optional Practical Training.
Student and Exchange Visitor Program Portal
As of March 23, 2018, the Student and Exchange Visitor Program Portal will be an available tool for F-1 students on Post-Completion and Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Practical Training to report their contact information as well as their employer information directly to the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System. Students will be able to see their information in the portal as it is reported in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System and will be able to update it as needed. Students will be able to make changes to their address, telephone number, and employer information.*
*Students on (STEM) Optional Practical Training will not be able to update their employer or their employment start date because they have to submit Form I-983 with this information.
For more information about the Student and Exchange Visitor Program Portal please visit: